Just made another yummy chicken dish and wanted to share! I recently got myself an outdoor grill, sort of like a large, free-standing George Foreman grill that plugs into an outlet. It works great, and I am having an awesome time cooking on it. Last week I made sweet Italian chicken burgers on it, which would have been better had I cooked it long enough so it was cooked all the way through, heh, heh. Grilling is a great way to keep the calories down, and also change up the dinner time routine.
Lemony grilled chicken for 4
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- lemon pepper
- sea salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- a meat tenderizer or heavy object
- plastic wrap
- 13×9 inch pan
1) pound out chicken breasts to 1 inch thickness, then place in a 13×9 inch baking dish.
2) zest lemon, roll lemon to release juices, and cut in half.
3) drizzle on olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and lemon pepper, minced garlic, lemon zest and squeeze both halves of lemon over chicken.
4) grill till cooked all the way through and the juices run clear when you cut into them. Place on platter and let rest for a few minutes.
I also steamed an artichoke for me, and yellow crook neck squash for Billy to serve with the chicken. I tried to fake myself out by pretending the yellow squash was a nice starchy side dish, it sort of worked haha!
The chicken came in at a low (and super flavorful) 232 calories. Adding the artichoke (and some light mayo, or other light dipping sauce) adds 60 calories, and the squash was 20 calories, so my entire dinner was 312 calories, which is a fantastic low-calorie dinner!
Let me know if you make this dish for yourself, and tell me how you like it, and if you make any changes. I hope that by posting my healthier dinners that I can inspire others to live and eat healthier as well! My motto is, misery loves company, but it doesn’t mean that it has to taste bad!